The museum building and its surroundings
In December 2001 Northern Norway Art Museum moved to its present premises in Sjøgata 1 at Prostneset in the centre of Tromsø. The monumental building dates back to 1917 and was originally the city's main telegraph and post office. It later served as a police station. Since autumn 2000 the building has been under reconstruction in order to meet the new requirements as a museum.
The museum, facing Roald Amundsens square, is situated in Tromsø's oldest street. The Steamship terminal and Tromsø Cathedral are close by. Prostneset has been a churchsite since the 13th century. The wharf built appr. 1900 was constructed to receive large ships such as the coastal express "Hurtigruta". Prostneset is even today Tromsø's main traffic centre for travellers by sea.
History and objectives
Northern Norway Art Museum was established in 1985 as an independent foundation financed by the Government. In 1988 the museum opened to the public in rented premises. Northern Norway Art Museum is the only one of its kind north of Trondheim. The museum's objective is to raise knowledge and interest in visual and applied art. To collect, document and show art from the region is a major task. The museum is likewise responsible for communicating art to children and young people living in the vast areas of Northern Norway.