Nordnorsk Kunstmuseum is a powerhouse for Northern Norwegian art, with high ambitions and international perspectives. Our mantra is that art moves. Emotions, idea, politics, passions, knowledge, societies; everything can be set in motion by art. The museum delivers relevant art experiences of a high artistic value for both locals and visitors. Through an active, critical and constructive programming, we make ourselves heard from Anchorage in the West to Russia in the East. Through exhibitions, educational outreach and collaborations we make art a natural part of life in Northern Norway.
The museum was established as a foundation in 1985. It was and still is, almost completely funded by the government. The museum opened its doors for the first time in 1985, in rented spaces above Tromsø Center for Contemporary Art. In December 2001 Nordnorsk Kunstmuseum moved to its own building at Sjøgata 1. The monumental brick building was designed and used as a Post office and Telegraph by architect Søren Andres Wiese Opsahl in 1917. The building was also Tromsø police headquarters for some time.